Hiring for an Exceptional Communications Director
TRUEdotDESIGN is looking for an exceptional Communications Director to help bring our clients’ digital communications game and events to the next level.
Location: Ottawa (in-office or hybrid)
Position Type: Full-Time
As a Communications Director, you live and breathe in the digital space and love planning impactful events. You are responsible for delivering on our communications and events promises – all of them. You truly understand the agency world and will hit the ground running with your expertise in planning and coordinating small to large-scale events and in developing and executing communications strategies, including digital ad strategy, social media strategy, creative copywriting for various channels, campaign management, and day-to-day social media engagement for a broad range of client industries.
The Communications Director oversees the communications team to ensure that all project elements are organized and executed in a timely, effective, and budget-conscious fashion – whether internally (i.e. working with an Account Director and the Project Team) or externally (i.e. working with the client or through a third-party partner).
At TRUEdotDESIGN, the Communications Director role is focused on a variety of tasks including:
- Develop communications strategies for clients
- Manage and execute digital campaigns for your clients, including multi-channel content development (digital ads, social media, blogs, eblasts, landing pages, etc.)
- Provide oversight to the communications team (internal and freelancers), including coaching and feedback
- Develop department processes and education to support the communications team quality of delivery to all clients
- Project-related communications and scheduling – internally and directly with clients
- Create client-tailored social media tools including a monthly editorial calendar, hashtag map, etc.
- Manage social media marketing campaigns and day-to-day activities including:
- Develop relevant content topics to reach the company’s target audiences
- Curate, write, create, and manage all published content (images, video, and copy)
- Design, write, create, and manage promotions and social ad campaigns
- Grow audiences through outreach efforts
- Monitor, listen and respond to users in a “social” and business-minded way to support business objectives
- Conduct online advocacy and open a stream for cross-promotions
- Optimize social channels
- Oversee design (i.e.: cover photos, profile pics, ads, landing pages, blog pages, etc.)
- Manage efforts in building online reviews and reputation: monitor online reviews and respond to each review
- Measure and analyze key metrics and tweak strategy as needed
- Develop monthly, quarterly, or campaign-specific reports to showcase results, highlights, and recommendations, present to client team as required
- Creative content development (posts, ads, bios, blogs, taglines, website content, award submissions, media releases, case studies, etc.) for a variety of client industries
- Have an eye for design and can clearly communicate graphic needs to the design team
- Develop compelling social graphics using Canva
- Conduct communications tools training as needed (internally and for clients)
- Plan and coordinate small to large-scale events (event themes, moodboards, schedule management, vendor management & coordination, on-site coordination, etc.)
- Conduct research as needed
- Execute all assigned deliverables including quality assurance of all project elements
- Continue education to remain highly effective in the role
- Identify threats and opportunities in user-generated content surrounding the company. Report notable threats to appropriate management
- Become a member of the fun committee and support company and client-related events
- Other client-related or administrative duties as required
To be considered for this position, you’ve got to have some (or all) of these skills and qualities:
- Post-secondary education in Communications and Digital Marketing (or related field) and/or an interesting combination of education and experience
- Minimum 8 years of experience in a communications position (including social media management) at a marketing agency or a similar multiple-client-facing environment
- Minimum 2 years of experience planning and coordinating small to large-scale events
- Experience with the architectural, real estate, property development and/or home builder industries is considered an asset
- Expert knowledge of both business-to-user and business-to-business digital tactics and engagement is a must
- Relevant certifications (Google, Meta, etc.) is considered an asset
- Experience planning and managing events is considered an asset
- Experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Experience providing oversight and coaching to team members, including fostering excitement and motivation for projects
- Strong leadership qualities and an ability to manage and influence team members, freelancers, and clients
- In-depth knowledge of major digital ad platforms, including but not limited to Google Ads, Meta Business Suite, LinkedIn Campaign Manager, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of major social media platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn
- Experience with online reputation management tactics
- An ability to understand brand voice and tone for a range of clients and easily pivot from one to the next
- Outstanding writing skills and the ability to write keyword optimized content for various channels
- An ability to find and generate new content on a regular basis
- Excellent communication and presentations skills – developing and presenting ideas, plans and reports persuasively to key stakeholders
- An ability to juggle multiple client accounts simultaneously and ensure all client needs are being met
- A desire to stay current on digital and social media trends, tools, and tactics
- A desire to stay current on event trends
- Confidence to take initiative and feedback from Account Directors
- The flexibility to take on new challenges: software, social media, design trends, etc.
- A portfolio containing only your most impressive original campaign and event work
What You’ll ❤️ About This Job:
- The people: we’re a supportive and collaborative team that encourages big ideas and bold thinking – you’ll be one of the dotters (#teamwork)
- We are passionate about our clients and are tenacious about building their business and brand!
- Dynamic projects with a range of clients to keep things interesting
- A fast-paced and vibrant corporate culture that is inclusive and entertaining!
- We celebrate everything at Tdot with a staff party at the end of each month
- Added benefits including anniversary & birthday gifts, summer “Happy Fridays”, events (GOHBA, SAMs), annual golf tournament, OBOT discounts, learning series (monthly speakers), etc.
Forward your pixel-perfect resume showing us you’ve got what it takes – along with salary expectations, availability, campaign examples, event examples, and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org
TRUEdotDESIGN is a fully integrated, award-winning Ottawa-based marketing firm with an impressive portfolio of services for clients in architecture, engineering, residential development and homebuilding, and other real estate-related sectors. Through our experience and evolution, TRUEdotDESIGN’s talented in-house team of bilingual marketing strategists and designers specialize in offering a unique stable of expertise in strategy development and planning, brand development, marketing, graphic design, social media, public relations, copywriting, web design and development, advertising, and promotions (both mainstream and online), media and marketing planning, event planning, and sales centre and showroom interior design.