Ottawa Board of Trade Announces Shelley True of TRUEdotDESIGN as a Member of the New Board of Directors
The West Ottawa Board of Trade consolidated their operations with the Ottawa Chamber of Commerce in July 2018. Following a successful August 9th vote by its members, the Orléans Chamber of Commerce also agreed to consolidate its operations. Work is now underway to expand the newly-formed Ottawa Board of Trade into a single Chamber for the city of Ottawa.
Ian Sherman, EY Ottawa Tax Practice Market Leader and the former Chair of the Ottawa Chamber of Commerce has been confirmed as the Chair of the new Ottawa Board of Trade, while Mischa Kaplan, the former Chair of the West Ottawa Board of Trade and Joelle Hall, the former Vice-Chair of the Orléans Chamber of Commerce take on Vice-Chair roles. Lynn Johnston becomes the Corporate Secretary, and Ruby Williams is the new treasurer.
“I’m honoured to be able to work alongside such a talented and dynamic group of Ottawa business people,” said Shelley True. “I look forward to playing a small part in helping shape the future of Ottawa’s business community.”
During a transitional period over the next 18 months, the new entity will be governed by a 22-member Board of Directors. Each member of the Board volunteers their time, expertise and knowledge, reflecting a diverse cross-section of businesses of varying sizes and sectors – all proportionately representing the consolidation. A new committee has been struck to develop a framework based on best practices for purposes of the future governance of the Ottawa Board of Trade, following which a nominating committee will act upon the model developed to propose the next Board slate in early 2020.
“This is an exciting time for the Ottawa business community as we have a diverse and talented board of directors representing our city” said incoming Chair Ian Sherman. “I have the extremely proud honour and humbling privilege of leading this engaged group, and I am confident of the commitment, energy and strategic vision of this team to ensure the Board of Trade continues to not only deliver value to its membership but also to facilitate a stronger voice & enhanced economic diversity for the entire region – from East to West and from North to South and also in partnership with Gatineau. We also look forward to embracing, engaging and collaborating with the many other organizations in the region who focus on building businesses, creating prosperity and advancing innovation in Ottawa – a global iconic capital city. This is a truly inspiring and exciting opportunity for the Ottawa Board of Trade to demonstrate it’s true leadership and valuable brand in our community”.
The Ottawa Board of Trade will continue to work towards community prosperity through advocacy and economic development; bringing greater value and benefit to its current and future members; and strengthening the voice of business in our community.
2018 Ottawa Board of Trade Executive Committee:
- Ian Sherman, EY (Chair)
- Mischa Kaplan, Cardinal Research Group (Vice-Chair)
- Joelle Hall, Richardson GMP (Vice-Chair)
- Lynn Johnston, TD Canada Trust (Corporate Secretary)
- Ruby Williams, Deloitte (Treasurer)
- Ian Faris, Ottawa Board of Trade (ex-officio)
2018 Ottawa Board of Trade Board of Directors:
- James Baker, Keynote Group
- Craig Bater, Augustine Bater Binks LLP
- Priya Bhaloo, TAG HR
- Dirk Bouwer, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall LLP
- Michael Crockatt, Ottawa Tourism
- Wayne French, Waste Management of Canada Corporation
- Cyril Leeder, Investment Partners Fund
- Mark Nisbett, Brookstreet Hotel
- Robert Rheaume, BDO Canada LLP
- Andrew Scott, Pita Pit Ottawa
- Greg Skotnicki, Market Maker Agriculture
- Amanda-Lyn Smith, The Massage and Treatment Clinic
- Wendy Trudel, Community Employment Resource Centre
- Shelley True, TRUEdotDESIGN
- Jorge Useche, RBC Royal Bank
- George Van Noten, The Minto Group
- Rob White, Red Chef Ventures